Monday, July 26, 2010

Gettin Crazy Bout Runnin



Last weekend I decided to run my first 8k. I've been training pretty hard and knew five miles would be pretty easy, but I still get the jitters right before the race starts. It reminds me when I use to run hurdles. No matter how confident I was I always felt like puking right before the race. I guess some things never change!

Every year in my hometown we have a big festival called Fun Fest. It normally lasts about ten days and during those ten days there is plenty of activities to participate in. Every year I've wanted to run in the 8k, but just never managed to get around to it. I guess that's life, something is always popping up. This year though nothing popped up and I actually got to run in the race! It was so much fun too. The race is a night race and the course is loaded with spectators, live music and plenty of encouragement. Little kids were lined up along the track just waiting for a high five from a runner.

I think I'm starting to get a little addicted to this whole running thing. I decided my next goal will be a half marathon this October. Steve is already working on a running timeline that should have me ready for the big race! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he will be home in time to run the race with me. Having him along for the run will be loads of fun and he's always an expert on positive encouragement. Hopefully in a few months I will be typing of my half marathon accomplishment. I guess there isn't any turning back now!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Glad to see you caught the running bug! Awesome job on your race :) I'm doing the Chicago 1/2 marathon in the spring with a friend if you are looking for another race :)

    ReplyDelete