Wednesday, May 5, 2010

It's Derby Time!!!

Well, last weekend was Derby time in Louisville, KY! My good friend Cara, who has a beautiful condo in Louisville invited me to join in on the festivities! Of course I couldn't say no, as Derby weekend is a wonderful experience that one should have in their lifetime. For those of you who have not been, you are missing out! Make sure you mark this down as one of those things you do before you die. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. And while you're there, make sure you have a Mint Julep...or two.

I call Cara my "first" friend because we've known each other since we were in diapers. Her mom, Jeanette, which is like a second mom used to babysit for me when I was little girl. For those of you who don't know, Louisville is my birthplace, and I still like to think of it as home. While Cara and I are no longer little tots running around in diapers, we are still great friends!



We decided to go to the Oaks this year instead of the Derby, which is the day before the Derby. The Oaks is basically the "female" version of the Derby. All the horses that race on Oaks Day are, you guessed it...female. Today, the Oaks has become almost as big as the actual Derby. It supports breast cancer awareness. Churchill Downs is decorated in all shades of pink, and spectators are encouraged to show off their support by wearing pink as well. You will even see the race horses sporting little bits of pinks on their uniforms.





Even though the drink of the Oaks isn't a Mint Julep, it's called a Lily and guess what, it's pink, Cara and I still managed to taste a few.



You haven't had a "real" Mint Julep until you've had one at the track. It just tastes so much better when you're surrounded by the track, the horses, and the spectators!

While, Cara and I didn't win any money that day we still had an amazing time! I won't forget it.

The weekend went by too fast. Cara, I had a great time seeing you! You're a wonderful hostess too. I hope you will make it to Clarksville, so I can return the favor!

You can look for me in Louisville next year for the Derby too! This time though I will be sporting some delicious eye candy...my husband :)

No comments:

Post a Comment